Working in Australia

Studying and Working in Australia

Students must have the correct visa to work in Australia.  Only people with Working Holiday, Work and Holiday or Student visas may work while they are studying. On a Student visa, you can work for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.   You cannot work at all if you are on a Visitor visa. Check the Department of Home Affairs website to check your visa conditions. 

You will also need to apply for a tax file number.

At UEC, we run job club sessions.  In these free sessions, you will learn how to write a resume, where to look for job vacancies, and practice what to say at job interviews. For more details and how to sign up a job club, please ask at our reception.

Finding work

The following websites list jobs and offer tips for resume writing and interview techniques.

  • Seek – Online job search
  • Indeed – Good for contract and casual work in all fields. 
  • One Shift – Good site for finding casual work
  • CareerOne – Online job search
  • Job Outlook– This site lists details about hundreds of occupations. It is useful for checking job titles and requirements

The Fair Work Ombudsman Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

More information is available about Workplace rights – for all visa holders working in Australia.